Friday, December 4, 2009

Shiny Happy People

A survey called the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index reveals which states are happiest. Study researcher, Jason Rentfrow of the University of Cambridge in England and his colleagues came to their conclusions by analyzing data collected from more than 350,000 individuals who were interviewed between Jan. 2 and Dec. 30, 2008 as part of the Gallup Organization's Well-Being Index. The index includes six types of well-being: overall evaluation of their lives, emotional health, physical health, healthy behaviors (such as whether a person smokes or exercises), and job satisfaction.

Here are, according to this study, the top 20 "happiest" states:

1. Utah: 69.2
2. Hawaii: 68.2
3. Wyoming: 68
4. Colorado: 67.3
5. Minnesota: 67.3
6. Maryland: 67.1
7. Washington: 67.1
8. Massachusetts: 67
9. California: 67
10. Arizona: 66.8
11. Idaho: 66.8
12. Montana: 66.7
13. New Hampshire: 66.7
14. Vermont: 66.6
15. Virginia: 66.5
16. Nebraska: 66.4
17. New Mexico: 66.3
18. Oregon: 66.3
19. Connecticut: 66.3
20. Alaska : 66.2

If I ever moved away from Tennessee, the state that appeals to me most is Virginia, aka number 15. It's so beautiful with it's rolling hills and beaches, but is also close to a lot of fun stuff... and by close I mean within 10 hours of driving. I love Tennessee though, even if it didn't make the top 20.

3 comments:

Stacey H said...

I have been to 14 of these states and lived in 4. Yep, I'm pretty happy! ;)

Mother 25 - 8 said...

I read that same report. I don't quite get why UT was #1. Guess it's all the prozac. Can't write much, just sitting reading. Got a baby in my hand!

Unknown said...

I was about to make a crack about the anti-depressant state of Utah, but Erika beat me to it.

But, seriously people...it's called joy in your posterity. Utah's got that down.

WWMD

"My professional life has been centered on the home, the well being of the family and everything that these subjects encompass. When I began working in this area more than 25 years ago, the subject of homemaking as it relates to families was largely overlooked, though the interest was clearly broad and the desire for information strong. My colleagues and I soon discovered we were satisfying a deeply felt unmet need."

Martha Stewart, U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging, April 16, 2008